Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Expectation Reduces Happiness


I wrote this back in 2006

**************************************************************************

A good friend of mine once told me, "expectation reduces happiness".

He explained, most of the time (for not saying ALWAYS) people tend to have high expectations for everything. Whether it's situation at work, expectation that others would do or say that please us, or just about weather. When things are not the way we like them to be, we become unhappy, sad, disappointed. On the contrary, when we receive or experience good things that are not expected, we become happy, feel so lucky.

That explains the phrase "expectation reduces happiness". My friend made a good point. This mental state helps him to stay grounded and prevent disappointments over silly matters.

A simple statement, yet it is so true..........i am still trying to keep that in mind. Every time i become 'unhappy' over something that i should not waste too much of energy fretting about.

How about you guys?....

***************************************************************************

Well, its mid of year 2007 already. I still use the phrase often, to my self and to my friends. Ah, maybe it's wiser to say that it is alright to have expectations, but we ought to strive to keep our expectations GROUNDED. Another good friend of mine keep reminding myself with this phrase this past semester "manage your expectations"

In the midst of emotions, ego, feelings, confusions, sentimental atmosphere. It's easy to get carried away and lose our perspectives. And to stay grounded with our hopes and expectations. So darn difficult huh? well at least for me.

I believe that all that comes my way are learning process to complete my soul.

Still.....in completion process....till my dying day


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

setujuhh buangett

Anonymous said...

Expectation Reduces Happiness?

Good subject to address. I should write something similar to this in my blog.

In most cases it is true. Expectation, high expectation, when not fulfilled tends to bring disappointment. It is physiological: a measure of how far we attach to the thing(s) we are anticipating to. From a simple thing as waiting for someone to call us to emotionally damaging unrequited loves. The effects of unmet expectation, thus, in my opinion, related to this level of attachment.

However, if by expectation we mean ‘hope’ then it would be entirely different scenario. I saw you like reading Paulo Coelho so I believe you’ve read 'The Alchemist' or 'The Zahir' ; from both stories, especially 'The Alchemist', we know what a hope can do to a man/woman.

Getting too serious huh? :-). Keep writing. Nice reading your blog.

yulidarmawan said...

Hi...thanks for stopping by...

yeah..i love reading Coelho's writings. Truly enchanting....